In June 2006, H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco decided to establish his Foundation to address the planet’s alarming environmental situation. The Foundation is dedicated to the protection of the environment and the promotion of sustainable development around the world. It mobilizes citizens, politicians, scientists and economic players, and supports initiatives of public and private organizations in the eld of research and technological innovation.
The Foundation’s mission statement
- To establish partnerships in order to carry out projects and implement concrete activities in our priority action areas.
- To raise both the public and the authorities awareness of the impact of human activities on the natural environment
and to encourage more environmentally friendly behaviour
- To promote and encourage outstanding initiatives and innovative solutions by awarding prizes and grants
Three priority areas
- The Mediterranean basin
- The Polar Regions, as indicators of climate change
- The Least Developed Countries (as de ned by the United Nations of cial list), which are severely impacted by the effects of climate change,
the loss of biodiversity and water shortage
To strengthen the impact of its action, the Foundation has identi ed 8 priority programs:
- Studying climate change and its effects
- Developing marine protected areas
- Ocean acidi cation
- Protecting endangered species
- Biodiversity knowledge
- Developing energy ef ciency and renewable energies
- Integrated management of, and access to, water resources
- Combating deforestation
Over the past 10 years, the Foundation has supported more than 380 projects across the globe, for a total amount of 37 million Euros. Building on a concrete approach, as close to the eld as possible, the projects have all been selected after a rigorous process led by the Foundation’s governing bodies, composed of international experts.