Founded by Albert I, Prince of Monaco, the Oceanographic Institute is committed to raising awareness of the richness and fragility of the ocean and to promote sustainable management and science based and effective protection of oceans. To this end, it brings together scienti c and socio-economic actors on the one hand, and the general public and political decision makers on the other. The Institute helped develop this mission highlighting the outstanding heritage of Prince Albert I and the exemplary commitment of H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco to make us know, love and protect the oceans.
1. Promote knowledge of the ocean to ensure a scienti c basis for responsible political action.
2. Develop a network of partnerships to mobilize the most up-to-date knowledge.
3. Popularize and disseminate scienti c knowledge in order to make it accessible to as many people as possible and to reconcile scienti c results and public expectations.
4. Highlight the essential role of oceans and marine biodiversity for our environment and to raise awareness of the dangers that threaten them by identifying solutions.
5. Develop a global vision of the issues linking environmental, economic and social dimensions.
6. Mobilize a range of communication channels covering all audiences: the Maison des Océans in Paris and the Oceanographic Museum in Monaco for expert conferences, public lectures and exhibitions. From paper editions to digital and online media.
7. Share the beauty of marine life with the general public.
8. Propose an original and fascinating association of the life sciences and art.
9. Entertain the general public by offering a playful, attractive and modern approach to the world of the oceans.
10. Ful ll dreams by supporting the explorations and discoveries.
Engage the Public
11. Act with policy-makers, international institutions and opinion leaders to accelerate awareness and decision-making for ocean conservation.
12. Identify and promote balanced and realistic actions.
13. Assist in policy-making based on a scienti c analysis integrating the environmental, economic, social and legal dimensions.
14. Promote innovations, encourage initiatives and develop good practices for the protection of the ocean.
15. Encourage the public by emphasizing its capacity to act.
16. Mobilize and promote societal commitment and the action of all in concrete actions and “good practices”.